Monday 5 March 2018

What I learnt from the Olympics

I adore the Winter Olympics, the skill and grace of the skiiers and boarders defies description - at least my clumsy attempt at describing their aerial highjinks. For two weeks I become an expert on sports I'd never heard about.

There were three high lights for me. The first, as I settled down to watch the Men's Final of the Halfpipe as my lunchtime break, while riding the exercise bike, an acquaintance in the US tagged me to see if I was watching it live. With the eleven thousand kilometres between us vanishing in real time, we facebooked our commentary of what we were seeing and if we thought the scores were fair. It was as if we were in the same living room watching the events unfold. What could have been a lonely experience for two people was shared. The world is indeed smaller than ever before, and that gives me hope for humanity. Perhaps we can see a little more how what we do impacts others, and how we can help those around us, after all, they may be only a few clicks away.

The second was from a tweet by Daniel Dae Kim, on the South Korean Women's short track relay. Early in their race, one of the women fell but the team kept pushing and made it from behind to break a record and nab a spot in the final - which they later won. Kim's tweet was merely "This is why you never give up. This is why it's not how you start, but how you finish." If you are stumbling or feeling out of your depth, it doesn't mean defeat is inevitable. Perhaps you need to make a few changes, or perhaps you just need to persevere. When the going gets tough, just remember, it's not how you start but how you finish!

Lastly, I learnt that if the country is not a traditional 'winter sports' country, then an athlete might decide to take up a sport the year before and go to the Olympics. So I'm deciding what won't be too scary or dangerous, as I'm too old to break bones and then I'll hit you all for funding to send me as the Oz rep of some random sport we don't compete in. I've got about two years to work it out, so start saving everyone!

What I learnt most of all, is that I miss the Winter Olympics. I'm counting down the days until Beijing, 2022!

Linking with #OpenSlather  #KCACOLS #StayClassyMama #FortheloveofBLOG #TwinklyTuesday, #GlobalBlogging & #Dreamteam


22 comments:

  1. Great lessons especially number two. I also love how technology has made the world smaller for friends to connect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I understood the scoring of some of the Winter Olympics sports better! At times I was quite confused watching the events but I am missing the Olympics now they're finished!

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that smaller countries with limited people still get there and kick butt. It's just being a part of the sensation of the games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tweet is pure gold (excuse the pun!) Two of my favourite movies - Cool Running and Eddie the Eagle are all about unlikely contenders for the games - so anything is possible. I look forward to seeing you at the next games and virtually cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so good to know of your passion Lydia! Love it. Denyse x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since we don't have dish or anything and only antenna TV, it was great to have the Olympics on and we watched each evening. I am always so impressed on any Olympic or any athlete on their determination and day in and day out dedication it must take. And now we're back to Antenna TV and old shows..haha Peabea@Peabea Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm gutted that I missed it this year, I love watching the ice skating and really annoyed I couldnt see it due to work! dammit! #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha. OMG, that was me too. I was a total expert at the ariels (sp?) and Bobsledding. Want me to explain the whole thing and why he was NEVER getting a gold medal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it too, and was sad to see it go. It was great to introduce my daughter to it this year! #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was in Beijing the year before the Olympics in 2007 because my son was teaching in China (lots of 20-30something do it:)). The most quaint city.
    Have seen your name a lot on different memes, so that must mean you like memes/challenges. Am inviting you to All Seasons, which is about the experience of the Season you are in. (beyond nature, also celebrations, vacations, etc.)
    Because it's wordpress, after you click, a new page opens up for the photo link. It's open from Sunday through Wednesday night 7pm, California time.
    my url is artworksfromjeshstg (dot) wordpress (dot) com Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shucks I haven't watched one single event - what also made it difficult was the time difference. Thanks for sharing your highlights.#dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm another who didn't watch any part of the Olympics. Yes, I'm sorry now. It's interesting to read your take on the event, especially about South Korea. I didn't know that such newbies are in the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like the how you finish metaphor. Look forward to seeing which sport you pick for Beijing 2222. Good luck! #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sadly I did not watch any of it. Too much hot issues here in the states. It became more of a political battle than the skill. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't see much of it this time around but what I saw I loved. The Air Jump (I think it's called that?!) and the Kurling are mesmerising! And yes, they can teach us a thing or two. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  16. Weirdly enough I was really apathetic about the winter olympics in the lead-up, the only thing that has ever had my interest before was the ice-skating... and then, I somehow every night got sucked in to watching it and would be up until 2am watching sports I'd never seen before and cheering for people I never knew existed. I'm definitely a converted fan, I think!
    #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you get random attachments to athletes you'd never heard of before their first run. It's hilarious.

      Delete
  17. I used to like Olympics very much, but now when many sportsmen 'have asthma' - not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asthma? I don't follow. Is it a drug cheat thing?

      Delete
  18. I mus admit I haven’t been keeping up with it. Not entirely sure why as normally I love it. Thank you for joining us for #kcacols and hope we see you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I completely agree with that the Olympics help to make the world is closer place, bringing together countries and helping others to recognise countries that they wouldn’t normally support. Thanks for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the Winter Olympics and I love your commentary of what you learnt. Roll on 2022! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time

    ReplyDelete