Wednesday 6 December 2017

Taking a chance - loving life

This photo cracks me up. Social media experience.

I missed getting tickets to J.Cole way back in March when they went on sale (or whenever it was) and have been watching the scalpers ask for exorbitant amounts for them ever since (around $800, then dropping to $600). Come Saturday, I found some on ebay for $199 so purchased it. I was wary it was a high risk but the feedback was all positive so I took the punt.
I paid on Sunday and the ticket was emailed straight away.
On Monday night I fronted up to the venue, and was nervous when I got to the turnstile. I was waved through the metal detector (apparently too old to carry a knife or gun - remember I'm 107). My heart skipped a beat as my ticket was scanned but it pinged and I was in! 

I hadn't bothered getting the 18+ wrist band as I wasn't going to drink but was stopped as I approached the bar.
"Can I see your wrist band?"
I started to laugh and then, when I saw he was serious "I don't have one. I'm just getting water anyway"
"Then you'll have to go to the soft bar inside the venue."
I was about to say "Are you for real? It's a safe bet I'm older than your mother!" but then as a mother I thought 'Good for you for your responsible RSA and not letting an old lady push you about' so I left and got my water inside.
This terrible photo is as close as I got.
I have waited to see J.Cole since 2014, when I discovered his music, I kid you not, just 4 days after he played a gig down the road from my house! So I was grinning like a loon as I strolled around the grounds, taking in the crowd.

When I go to a concert by myself, I usually sit through the supports and then sidle my way through the crowd for the main act. The supports finished and I ducked off to the bathroom then hit the floor. The lights were still on and I could see young people doing alarmed double takes at my out of place wrinkly face and unhip attire. At my age you'll never blend in so I don't even bother - I dress for comfort in the crowd. To borrow from J.Cole himself :
"Lights please, lights please. Turn of the lights.
For now everything just seems so right,
And how you make the darkness seem so bright
I'm feeling everything's gonna be alright".

I texted my husband that if they didn't turn the lights off soon I'd be shamed back to the stands. He responded perfectly, and I thought to myself 'Yeah, I'm too old to care what they think!'

Fortunately the lights went out and all was good. I had a fab night and have been on a high ever since. There is something so invigorating about the shared experience of live music (and thanks to the young ladies who merrily danced with me. To quote one of them "That's the real shit right there!"*).

The thing is, as you age, you don't stop liking what you like doing. It just gets harder to fit in or harder to be able to do it. The nice thing to remember with people, is in the dark, we're all the same. 

(*I didn't know how to respond to this and said something lame like "Yep, sure is" and totally killed the vibe so if you can tell me what the correct response to "That's the real shit right there!" is, I'd appreciate it).

 Linking with #MLSTL

When was the last time you took a punt on something? Did it work out?














24 comments:

  1. I would have no idea what the best response would have been! I'll have to ask my kids when they wake up - Lol! Sounds like you had the best time! Good on you for joining in, doing what you love and dancing the night away!
    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right - we don't change what we love, but it does get tougher somehow to do it...so when we do I think we enjoy it even more. #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually forget how old I am until I see myself in the mirror or reflected back via someone else. I'll often look at someone I think is old (in a magazine, online, in person) and then discover they're my age or younger and horrified!

    I've not heard of J Cole I must admit, but if he's 'the shit' I'd better google him and listen! #teamlovinlife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I have a lot in common. I'm not sure which is worse, when you get the shock in the mirror and realise you don't look like you thought you did, or when that moment when your age is reflected back, often by an all to polite person in their twenties or thirties....

      Delete
  4. Oh you are so hard on yourself, stop it now and stop spoiling the fun for yourself. Who cares what the right response was Like Deborah I have never heard of him so maybe you are a lot younger than you think ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though you are young at heart doesn't necessarily mean you will know the lingo lol. I know at times I think too hard about what other people think, an should remember it's none of my business what they think x

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it's your thing, enjoy it and don't waste your energy worrying about what others think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'In the dark, we are all the same'. Wise words and true.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you went to a concert on your own! You go girl!! I absolutely adore live music, but I must be a lot older than you because I've never heard of J. Cole. I got tickets recently to see Bryan Adams. Now he's my kind of cool! #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
  9. My nan always used to tell me - inside I'm still in my 30's! I understand that now. Well done for getting out there doing what you love. I'm terrible for needing to fit in. So I loved your comment that in the dark we were all the same x #lovinlifelinky

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that you went to this on your own; it's exactly what I'd do! I've no idea how to reply to those girls either but I'd probably be less cool than you! Thanks so much for sharing this with #HighlightsofHappy. It really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Am glad you went - if going to concert was what I wanted to do, I would -but I don't, I rather listen to music in my living room:) LOVE the pic, and I know 30 years later we would smile about pics like these (because they will have found a replacement for I phones we have now:)Thanks for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have no idea how to respond to that either. It's great that your night was so good. Who cares what everyone else thinks x
    #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah this is lovely to read and well done for getting a ticket eventually. As long as you had fun it’s not about what anyone else thinks. Thanks so much for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lydia,

    You're doing alright for 107! I mean, going to a concert, boogieing with the crowd...now that really rocks. I forget what my age is often times, too. But, I'm not about to let a number tell me how old I need to feel or act. I'm a rule breaker, I reckon. To answer your question, I did take a punt recently for something and I can't remember what it was now but it worked out so I guess that's why I can't recall. lol Thanks for stopping by to visit. Have a fantastic day and the merriest Christmas ever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very cool. I am becoming more of a rule breaker myself. So very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you're rocking it out and dancing and not being pushed into the back row seats. I keep thinking you must be 20 to be doing all this stuff and then I remember you're a Midlifer like me! I need to get out more!!
    Thanks for linking up with us at MLSTL and I've shared on my SM :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally love going to places by myself. But I have not gone to a concert like this. Have attended TEDx and talks at the Opera House and the Writers' Festival. Now this weekend I am off, solo, to the Newcastle Writers festival. Denyse #mlstl

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post! My husband and I often go to concerts together and we're often the oldest ones there! Yes, the young people don't understand why we're there (same reason as them, I think!), and look at us strangely, but it's fun! You only live once! Pinned and visiting from MLSTL. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You go girl going to a concert on your own. I would probably never do something like that. I don't actually mind if I go to a concert and we are the oldest ones there. It is only a number after all but the way we view life in our hearts and minds is more important. thanks for sharing at #MLSTL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way to have fun, impressed that you took yourself to a rap concert. And I'm not sure if it's the right answer but I would have responded with, "Sure as shit is." But they might have expected a "Fo' sho" aka "For sure." #MLSTL

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm impressed that you went to a concert by yourself, Lydia, and even more impressed that you got in and danced with the young crowd. Good for you out there loving life! I have friends of all ages, older and younger, and most of the time I don't think about the age difference. As you pointed out, deep down we are all the same. #MLSTL

    ReplyDelete