Monday 28 August 2017

Uber etiquette

A friend and I shared an uber home one night. I booked it on my phone and we swung by her house before heading to mine. She made a comment as she got out about going to a movie but I wasn't really paying attention. A few weeks later we planned the movie but at the last minute I had to cancel, so we just had lunch. The lunch place only took cash and she didn't have any, so I covered her. At this point she said "Now I owe you twice. The whole point of me taking you to the movie was to pay you back for the uber". I had no idea what she was talking about so she elaborated "I was going to buy your movie ticket because you paid for the uber".

Now I have always thought that it evens out if you are travelling with friends you will see again - you book it one time, they book it the next. I did do a distance race with some people I didn't know and sought out the cost of the uber and dropped the money in their mailbox. The woman said "You're the only person that did that" but I assumed the others wouldn't have as they were closer friends, and it would be repaid over the years.

However, what is the etiquette? If it was a cab, you'd all hand over notes. In an uber, how do you split it?

We all seem to have different ideas so I'm wondering if I'm doing it incorrectly. How do you split an uber?

Linking with IBOT.

8 comments:

  1. Most of my good friends will see each other right over time, especially if it's a small fare. If it's a long distance ride with a hefty price tag, we'd be sure to split it and splash some cash. But if it's someone I didn't know so well, I'd definitely have to give them my share of the fare to ease my conscience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's a long ride I just PayPal my friend then and there

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what the girls have said above.If it's a short trip and a close friend just alternate who pays next time. If it's a long trip, I deposit the money into their account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is an option on uber to split payment - my teen does it all the time. It's very easy to do once you know how.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never caught an uber! In fact I rarely even catch a taxi anymore so can't say what I've been doing. However, if I were to catch an Uber with a friend and it was a one off occasion (didn't happen regularly) I'd just pay my half right there and then. If we caught Uber's a lot and it was a good friend then we might alternate payments - she pay this time, I pay next etc. I wouldn't do that with someone I didn't know well though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never taken an Uber but I always try to pay separately if I can as I may not see that person again for sometime. The one time in 2015 I did not, I said "my shout next time" and we have not met up since. I still feel 'bad' about that. I like to be 'even'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't used the Uber service yet. I will definitely split the fare with people I do not know and with friends if the fare is a big amount.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used an Uber but if I did with close friends we would do the same in terms of it just being covered the next time we saw each other, whether that be by covering the fare another time or making it up with coffee and cake. The other night I went out with friends and got a lift home with a friend from the city. I tried to give her money to cover the parking but she wouldn't take it, but we travel together often so with us it always comes out in the wash as I'll probably be the one driving and paying next time so it evens out. If it was people I didn't know well I would definitely transfer money to them on my phone while I was with them.
    #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete