Sunday 30 April 2017

Girlfriend's and Divorce

When I was pregnant, I discovered the books by Vicki Iovine, and loved her advice so much, I followed it through birth*, babies, toddlers and getting your groove back with her wonderful series, The Girlfriend's Guide. Last night, I decided to see if she'd written one about teenagers, only to discover she'd gotten divorced after 27 years of marriage. In her books, they had seemed so happy that I was strangely devastated to learn this, as if she was a personal friend (she's a very infectious personality in print, so you do feel like you're sharing these journeys with her).

However, in her true style, while she hasn't written The Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce (she should), she has landed on her feet with a TV series of the same name, that is apparently just renewed for a third season.  More of a comedy/drama than advice doco, it was nice to learn she's onward and upward in her life's journey.

She did write this post: The 10 biggest misconceptions about divorce which I will send to any friends that need to hear it, with point 2 highlighted. There is no better advice than that for women in this situation, as many I know can attest to.

As for me, I'm hoping her teen book is still in the works, and will read her posts at leisure over the coming weeks, happy to have discovered her blog.

First of the Month Fiction will be delayed until midmonth, when I return to the blog after an extended sabbatical.

Have you ever been upset by news of a stranger?

Linking with #BookNook 

*Her book on Birth was the only one that asked if you'd thought about how you'd get to the hospital - not by which transport but would you sit in the front or stretch out in the back? Would you need a bucket to be sick in? Would you want a pillow? So many of her tips and ideas stuck in my head...If anyone is pregnant, I thoroughly recommend her first three books on Pregnancy, Birth and Baby's first year.

12 comments:

  1. It's weird. I've been affected by stuff like that. Especially when they seem so perfect you sorta wonder how. I guess though, most of us put a sunny spin on our lives on social media - to some extent - so who's really to know what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so shocked and upset when I read it - it was so weird...because then I remembered I don't know her at all. But I'm glad she seems to have it all going well again now anyway!

      Delete
  2. Yes! I follow an American YouTuber and when I saw on Instagram that his dog had died I was so upset. Never met him or his dog lol. So weird!

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just forwarded that link to a girlfirend who needs to read it.

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlfe.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given the horror stories the barristers used to tell me, my first bit of advice is get a good lawyer and ask for more than you want because you'll always get less. And while you don't want to be "that" person, "that" person only becomes that way because they get screwed over otherwise. And if you get more than you want, you don't have to take it...but wait til after the fact to decide that.

      Delete
  4. Yes and often by the stories of hope, love and miracles that appear on my facebook feed now and then. They remind me that there is still goodness in the world despite what is often looks like.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You almost feel like taking it personally when something like that happens! I got sucked in to buying Glennon Doyle Melton's book called Love Warrior (and even signed up for a writing course based on it) and then, bugger me, she up and divorced the hub she had reconciled with in her memoir to come out and become engaged to a female sports person. What the?? Book was given to op shop and I did my dough on the course! Thanks for linking up for #lifethisweek 18/52 Next week: "My Mondays".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she cancel the course or did you decide not to do it?

      Delete
  6. I have never felt affected by the news of the stranger, but I have been hit for six with recent news devastating an old colleague I haven't seen in years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I'd definitely read a book the girlfriend's guide to divorce.
    I am often sad upon hearing news of strangers and their suffering. Pen x #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  8. The more blogs I read the more I feel affected by news from strangers on their blogs, but on the alternative happy for good news too! Thanks for linking with #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I definitely, especially now I read lots of blogs and I kind of feel like I know the people who write them even though we've never met. I hope she writes the book on teenagers for you xx #kcacols

    ReplyDelete