Thursday 26 January 2017

Back to Routine

I've taken a long time off these holidays, and barely written a word. I've had sleep ins and lazy days, been out exploring and enjoyed time with friends. It's been a mini Arts Festival with lots of plays, shows and concerts. Now it's all over. Now we're back to routine.

I'm already counting down the days until this term is over. While it will be nice to get work done, get my hair cut, exercise and so on, I'm lamenting the loss of fun with the kids, and all the timetables and deadlines imposed on us.

The after school scheduling, the assignments that need nagging, the appointments, the meetings. 

The Christmas holidays always stretch luxuriously out before you and then suddenly vanish. 

Overnight the fun disappears and the school lunches are looming.

Balzac said it about marriage, but it's equally applicable to life. “Marriage must fight constantly against a monster which devours everything: routine.” 

For the next 10 weeks, treasure those weekends, the 2 precious days when anything is possible.

Here's to battling monsters!

Do you love the holidays? Or are you glad to send them back to school?

(As a PostScript, I discovered in the nick of time, last night, that the middle child doesn't return to school tomorrow. So years of therapy averted and once twe farewell the other two, it's day of Didier for six hours!)

Linking with #Lifethisweek, #MummyMondays #KCACOLS & #FortheloveofBLOG


15 comments:

  1. I'm normally pretty happy to have the boys back at school to be fair so that they get back in their routine. However, I love having lazy mornings with them all watching a movie or talking about what we are going to do. Then they start fighting and I scream for school to start again lol:)
    Mainy - myrealfairy
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer routine - I don't do well without. It's good for my mental health. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the extra time with the children over the summer will be missed so yes I will treasure our weekends!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the extra time together and the days out and the lazing around if we want to. At the same time though, I do love the routine once school starts again and I can actually get things done. I treasure the weekends though x
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit I'm going to miss the Christmas holidays, now I'm back at work. Whilst I'm normally a routine person, I do feel jealous of my husband being able to spend time with our son every day whilst I work (he's a SAHP) - and find myself counting down the days to the weekend! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally I sometimes can't stand holidays. I love mini breaks, I love to get away camping or in a hotel for a week, but when my whole family is home for four weeks which is what we've just had, it drives me mad. As someone who works from home, my home is my space and when it's thrown out of whack like that, I can't focus. Now we are back to routine and I feel way more productive because everything has its time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had my niece and two nephews for a couple of days last week and it was tiring to say the very least. I can't imagine how bad it's be with a routine thrown in as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were all ready for the kids to go back to school but sad at the same time. I don't get sick of spending time with my kids, but at the same time, they were ready to learn and they need to. And I need to get back into finding some kind of work too. But we already miss the holidays. It's always so full-on as soon as school starts too - they've been exhausted every day and their programs are already really full.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sense your dislike of this 'going back to school' thing strongly Lydia. I hope you find a better balance with the reality thing that it is... Thank you for linking up for Life This Week 5/52. Next week's prompt is "How Much Money is Enough".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our girls go back to school this week. The younger two into year 10 & 12 and the eldest starts nursing. I'm one of the rare ones that really enjoys school holidays and the lack of routine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree I look forward to the school holidays and then in a blink of an eye they are gone! I find it hard to get back into the routine too. Love this quote about marriage and agree that it applies to life as well! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love the school holidays wher me we don't have to get up and have that mad school rush. We spend our mornings in pyjamas before deciding what we want to do that day. We're currently on countdown to half term!

    Thank you for linking up to #KCACOLS and I hope to see you back again on Sunday x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are one of the few parents I know who is not looking forward to school going back! :D Hope the back to school day went well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes holidays can last too long - but not always! Easter will be good, the weather will be better #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know how you feel hun, and December seemed like a perfect month for us with our holiday and then Christmas. Now it's over I feel a little lost, and definitely need to get something booked. However I'm back in the routine of January and trying to focus on the good parts of the month. I hopersonally that the next 10 weeks pass quickly for you but also enjoy it. Thanks for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

    ReplyDelete