Monday 9 May 2016

What are you listening to?

I get really bored with music. Mainly because I find some new music and then play it to death until I have to move on. The difficulty, is where do you find new music?
I usually shazam in bars or shops and then seek out the singer when I'm back at the laptop. Occasionally we find a spotify playlist out of France or Germany, and then I dig out the foreign bands.(I don't mind if songs are in another language, as I'm now of an age that I have no idea what they're talking about anyway - on that, can someone tell me what Galantis's Firebird is about? They lose me after the cinema.)

I was driving home one night and I saw this:



I said to my partner 'I just saw the coolest poster. I'm going to get tickets to Leon Bridges. He looks like the coolest guy ever. He'll be great.' So I put it up on FB that I was buying tickets and asked who wanted to come.

My partner, a little more sensible looked him up. He's huge, has played at the White House and the Melbourne gigs sold out on the first day. We liked the music. We got tickets and my FB post got a taker so we're going with friends. I'm very excited.

People keep laughing at my decision to go based on a poster - but posters are the same as book jackets, and they're designed to appeal to a certain market. So to me, it's as good a reason as any to go and see a show.

How do you find new music? Would you go to a concert based on the cool poster? Are you a fan of Leon Bridges? What are you currently listening to? And what on earth is Firebird about?





Linking with #OpenSlather

11 comments:

  1. I would do the same- what a great poster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Leon Bridges. Sounds like my loss!
    When it comes to music I just hear it and I either like it or not. To be honest though I am open to most music. I think there is a time and place in my life for all genres. It just depends on my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great way to make a decision. That dude looks like he has swagger. Should be an awesome night out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only time I really listen to music is in the car so all my new music comes from the radio. Other than that I'm always listening to children's songs at home and just bought tickets to a playschool concert - yes it appears this is my life now. So I'm probably not the best person to ask about music lol #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of him but I think it's awesome that you are up for doing something spontaneous and cool like go to a concert based on a poster! I listen to Spotify and I like new music (I'm very on trend with the teenagers and young adults of the world! And my 3 year old son!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're in for a great night out. I choose wine by how funky the label, so it seems only natural that you would choose a gig to go to by how funky the poster! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of him but I'm so out of the loop with music these days. When I was young, I'd watch rage and listen to the top 40 on the radio to find new music. These days pop music isn't really my thing. I'm not sure what is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't heard of him but will look him up. That poster is great, would totally make me want to listen too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of him but liked the clip!

    I actually don't listen to music any more which is weird. (Other than when I'm in my car and heading places and the radio's on.) I have no stereo so the advent of iTunes and the like has been problematic for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a find music, play the album until me and everyone else in my life can't stand it, move on. Repeat in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I listen to the radio, and occasionally check out Take40 Aust. online. I stream an Adelaide station, mainly because they play the oldies. By oldies I mean the eighties and nineties! I am not as into finding new music as I used to be. It really helped me get through my teens and twenties even. Firebird has got me, dunno what that shiz is about.

    ReplyDelete