Monday 30 May 2016

Weeds or Wildflowers?

We seem to live in a time where there is more depression and anxiety diagnosed than ever before. Despite living in an affluent and peaceful era in our country, discontent amongst the average person is at a record high. I was listening to this song (Thank you The Walking Dead), and it suddenly occurred to me why 'the blood beneath boils with unrest'.

We have lost our way, thinking only of ourselves and our own interest. We may not want to acknowledge it, but there is a subconscious guilt of dismissing concern for the welfare of all. As the lyrics state:

'I've lived enough to know the battle's never through you pass something down, no matter where or how will there be weeds or wildflowers affixed upon your bows'

In our state of affluence, we've been growing weeds. Perhaps we can no longer vote with our own hip pockets interests. Perhaps this time we have to vote for what is the best for the most people, not necessarily for our own personal wealth.

I'm not telling you who to vote for, I'm asking you to look at policies. Don't be distracted by the chatter, the loud circus that enrages or entertains you. Look at Medicare, look at hospital funding, look at services offered and environmental matters. Look at the future of farming and look at our role in the world. Consider the economics by all means, but don't just consider your own tax break. Look at the bigger picture, and ask questions. Alert those around you to matters beyond the sound bytes. Election campaigns are built upon keeping the public distracted and ignorant. We shouldn't fall for the media tricks anymore.

This time, make your vote with certainty. Remember that 'the world can feel the changes of a butterfly's wing'. What will you be leaving as your legacy?


Will there be weeds or wildflowers when you're done?

Linking with #OpenSlather







18 comments:

  1. Ooooh, Good one!
    'the world can feel the changes of a butterfly's wing'. Love it.
    Hey, loving your new bigger font too. Helps those of us who are Deep Fried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that it's important not to be distracted by all the noise or popularity contests! Look at the policies and the important issues before voting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. I truly believe we need to be thinking about the good for all above the good for one, tax breaks etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only everyone would read this and do as you say! Great post Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post! I think a lot of people feel quite helpless (I know I do) when it comes to making any kind of political change. I haven't felt so much dread about an election before, not knowing which way the public as a whole will swing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I think when it comes to voting you need to look at the whole picture and what it means for your family. At least that's what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a powerful post. I agree we have lost our way and perhaps it because we are its all about me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Lydia. And a good reminder of the importance of our votes. It's not just about who we like or don't - it's about the impact we can all have on the world we leave behind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh love this, Lydia. I definitely feel like I've lost my way at times and no doubt many others do too. It's important we're well informed with this election.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would hope all people would vote in this way. I know a few people who voted for promised tax breaks last time and got bitten in the bum by it. I really hope whoever gets in next time makes positive changes that benefit the majority of Australians. #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like either major party right now. Wishing there was a third option that actually had some merit and weight. Don't want to waste my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Applause! This could make great campaign advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true Lydia - I hope the upcoming election is judged on policies and what's best for the majority of the country not on special interest groups.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Election? What election? Ha! Just kidding. You are dead right. Too many people go blindly in to the polling booths voting a certain way because that's what they've always done and that's what their mother/father/sister/brother's always done. I wonder what would happen if everyone actual took a genuine interest in what they are voting for and made an informed choice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this. We are so privileged to be able to vote. There's so much distraction and noise in the media though and it's only going to get worse as we get closer to the election. Lets hope people see through it and make their own decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is sad in this day that we are all out to look after number one without much thought for others. Will be keeping this in mind when I vote x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know you can't see me, but I'm standing by my computer giving you a standing ovation. Imagine what a wonderful world it would be if everyone voted for the greater good instead of personal gain! It's my first vote in Australia and I'm going to use it wisely.

    ReplyDelete