Monday 8 February 2016

Intolerance of youth

I was a little disappointed to read on my facebook feed, someone complaining of the move to unisex toilets, with a derogatory jibe about the rise of 'gender neutral' in the media. The disappointment more because they're a young person, much younger than me, and I guess I thought the youth of the world were more evolved than our generation.

When the rise of wheel chair accessible toilets become a trend, did people complain? I doubt it. While it only affects a small percentage of the population, we thought 'Great that we're making life easier for someone'. Isn't this the same?

For the transgender community, for parents with children of the opposite gender, for children/carers with elderly parents of the opposite gender who need assistance in the bathroom, and for a myriad of other reasons that I haven't thought of, doesn't this change just make life easier? As it causes no harm to me, don't I think 'Oh,good for them.', if I think about it at all?

I am saddened when I see such useless intolerance, especially in the young, as I really believe the world has has changed in so many ways for the better and we're smarter than we were. Perhaps I'm naïve. If it doesn't cause harm to anyone, and makes others happier or does some good, then shouldn't we respect it? Shouldn't that be our litmus test for everything? 'Good for her, not for me' should not just be the motherhood mantra, but for all people.

Have you been disappointed in your Facebook feed?

Linking up with #OpenSlather


18 comments:

  1. Yes, that should be the mantra for all. I'd like to think the world has changed and we are more open minded now. There are always those narrowminded and self absorbed few though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think it's great. If a move to gender neutral bathrooms will help others then why not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it helps others and doesn't hurt anyone, then why not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me sad to hear this. I was only telling someone the other day how my kids are amazingly open and tolerant and accepting of the things that our generation and generations older than us used to struggle with (or had to learn to deal with). Their acceptance appears to have happened naturally. No "learning" needed. I just assumed this was the case for all younger people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I frequently see posts in my feed that disappoint me, as I have friends from many different political leanings and age groups. I try not to take anything personally, as I know that they are good people. But it does worry me that there seem to be so many good people who accept or even advocate for things that aren't so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My concern is that there is the possibility for harm. Not so much if there are general neutral bathrooms as an extra, but if boys and girls are all given the same place with no privacy. I think that could create some very problematic issues.
    However I believe unisex toilets are a good idea along with male and female ones, if it reduces the risk of genders being allowed to access the other's bathrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most people are realising that what other people do is really their business. There are always exceptions though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some days when Facebook makes me hate people. I have hidden a lot of family members and deleted many friends over the last 12 months. I haven't heard about the push for unisex toilets and I think it's a good idea. I have been to a few nightclubs where they don't have gender specific toilets and if a bunch of drunks can handle it, I'm sure it will be fine in shopping centers etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If eye rolls reading facebook counted as exercise I'd be skinny.
    There is so much intolerance in all things.At the local gym they have restrictions that no boys over 8 can use female amenities (though they have change cubicles and showerrs with doors) . They also have unisex showers and toielts and I haven't had any issues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My facebook feed is overwhelmingly tolerant - I guess I'm lucky. I think gender neutral toilets are a sensible idea - and will that mean that us ladies won't have to line up so long while the men waltz in and out of their toilets. I'm all for that. I also think we have the opportunity to become more open-minded as we get older, where as young people can have the blinkers on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These have always made sense to me. People just never want to embrace change. There's usually 60 percent who do and 40% who gripe about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unfortunately there are many people who just like to something to whinge about I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went through a stage where my Facebook feed was getting me angry so I hid anyone that spurted random pieces of crap. LOL Head. Sand.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's disappointing when something comes up in your feed that is totally against your own beliefs and values. If someone is a repeat offender, I will unfriend them. Otherwise, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's easy to see how people end up on the wrong side of history when you see attitudes like that show up. Frustrating though. It makes me angry and sad the attitudes people can have when all that is needed is acceptance and a little bit of compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So annoying when this happens. Especially when it's someone close to you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't see the big deal. When the doors shut, it could be any dunny. I reckon the mens wee trough days are well and truly over!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never been keen on unisex toilets (even blogged about it once: http://www.middleagedmama.com.au/thumbs-down-to-unisex-toilets/) but I never thought about the transgender angle before.

    ReplyDelete