Tuesday 21 April 2015

Do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of.

I think a lot about time - in fact, I've written a number of posts about the passing of time, the importance of time and the need for more time - which I will in part regurgitate here. Some of you will recognise the title (the Benjamin Franklin quote, as I repeat it often). It's such an important lesson, and needs to be repeated often.

We were on holidays, and moved every two to three days. Instead of making the trip seem harried, it seemed to stretch time. Even a two night stay seemed like an eternity, and the previous destination seemed a lifetime ago. It would be lovely if we could control the fluidity of time. Make the hard times fly by, and the precious moments stretch out to savour. Alas, I'm not sure how it all works, but I know we have no control over time.

We do have control over what we do with our time. Many years ago I wrote a post asking Santa to give me the one thing I needed, more time:

1. Time to see all the wonders of the world, the lava fall into the ocean in Hawaii, the Pyramids, Antarctica in all it's glory, the craziness of Vegas, the animals of the Galapagos Islands and everything else I've yet to lay eyes on.

2. Time to understand all the marvels of science. I was never very interested in science at school, and now as I realise how little I know, I find I'm the one asking the questions at the Observatory, or pausing in fascination at the Powerhouse. I'd like to truly know it all, not to show off but because every new fact is such an intriguing joy of discovery.

3. Time to enjoy with my friends. We rush from social event  to social event, and it becomes tiring - the looming dinner impinges on the leisurely lunch. The pressure to see people takes away from the pleasure of actually seeing them. I want to fit everyone in more frequently, and being able to enjoy it at the time.

4. Time with my children. They are getting busier, so our time together when the outside world isn't breaking in is getting less and less. I want time to engage and play with them, without thinking about the washing or the next place we have to be or the other people I need to be talking to. I just want to enjoy being with them, and the people they're becoming.

5. Time to get stuff done, and done well. I am falling apart in the multitasking dept, and I feel like the mouse in the spinning wheel, getting nowhere. I am racing through a 'to do' list but nothing seems to get done. I want time to get it all done and feel organised in the process.

All that still stands true for me, but realistically, I won't get more time. I don't even know how much time I have left. So it is up to me to make better use of my time. Triage my life and make time. If you have found yourself waiting out time in a job or situation that makes you unhappy, it's time to move on. If you have big dreams, it's time to get started. Meatloaf said it best (bet you never thought you'd read that sentence?!) "If you're only killing time, it will kill you right back". No more of the "I'll just wait until...." It's more now or never.

The most precious resource we have is time, so it's time to make it count. "Time is a gift, given to you, given to give you the time you need, the time you need to have the time of your life." (Norton Juster, Phantom Tollbooth)

PS I did get to Hawaii, but the lava wasn't falling into the ocean. However I saw many other amazing things so can't complain!

22 comments:

  1. So true. I often complain about not having time then waste it when I have it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have always wished for more time too but I am coming to the realisation that my wish is futile, instead I'm trying to be proactive in making better decisions with my time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right about this. All I want is more time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right time is so important and in a lot of ways so unvalued. There is not a day that goes by that I am not grateful that I have a 3 day week job which allows me to do something meaningful while spending time with my daughter while she is young - it is the gift of time - well compared to my previous role anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who'd have thought Meatloaf would get it so right eh? I am very guilty of saying I never have enough time and then wasting the time that I have. Human nature I suppose, but worth being reminded every now and again that we are playing with a finite resource.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had more time too. Time to get more work done and be organised. It's hard with little kids because there is only a short amount of time that you can get stuff done and they too are only little and will grow up fast. It's a catch 22 really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At my stage in life I can see it whishing past me at an accelerating rate every year. Sometimes I feel like crying when I think about my kids and when they were little. I really wish that hadn't gone so damn quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that time is so precious I wish I could bottle it! I feel like it is passing by and I not smelling the roses but just wondering where it went! I agree that making the most of here and now is the best way to go - live every day like its your last!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best. Quote. Ever. I've been trying to get better at embracing the moment and I do notice a big difference when it happens. Thank you for the reminder x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time is a commodity that too many people think too much about and therefore waste too much of it. I am one of these people - if only I had a few more hours in my day. Every now and then, I do just sit and waste real time on myself. #FYBF

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the reminder - time just seems to go faster the older you get and I am so guilty of wasting the smaller moments xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was thinking about this just last night, about time. I am definitely guilty of thinking "when this happens then this will be good" and I have to remind myself that the time is now! That every moment happening around me can't be gotten back, and that I need to embrace them all and stop waiting for that elusive time when everything will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely true. Thank you. We all know this, but I think we need to be reminded all the time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always try to have a list and get through the hard stuff first, and then have time and a clear mind for the good stuff. i'd like to say it works most of the time. Izzy went back to school today and I thought I'd get heaps done, but time wizzed by so fast and I hardly did a thing. It overwhelmed me until later in the day, I actually realised the good things that did happen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I try to really savour those special moments. When my son hugs me, I hold him a little longer, shut my eyes and breathe him in. Makes me appreciate things a little more, a little exercise to be in the present rather than worry about the future or dwell on the past.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm trying to enjoy every moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the one of spending time with our children - in a way that is not distracted by all the other things we try to cram into our day. I honestly think carefree, easy, time with our children is the time we neglect most. Yet so very important. Thank you as always for linking up to #convocoffee xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our time is so valuable but we often take it for granted! I have little time now I have extra work but still need to fit everything else in! Thanks for linking up with parentpower

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think Covid has made me realise how much time i waste and how much time I could use better and that I do need more time too. Glad you got to Hawaii, it's on my bucket list #parentpower

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely love the Meatloaf quote. I would love to visit Hawaii. I will start making plans right now. #ParentPower

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always wish I had more time to do things and when I have free time all I want to do is relax. I need to make better use of my time x

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great post for Time Lydia and I love your letter to Santa asking for more time. You';re right it is a precious commodity but we often take it for granted don't we? Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete