Tuesday 11 November 2014

Proud moments...

The prompt for the Lounge this week is your top 10 proud moments. The list is long when you actually start to think about it. The most recent for me was getting a short story published in an anthology, making the long list in the Hunter Writers Competition. (Of course then my ego went into overdrive, but that's another story).

I was really proud at some of the kind things that were said by bloggers far more talented than me, on my Why I write post. Even if they were just being nice, the fact that they stopped and said them made me feel I wasn't just spinning my wheels.

I am proud that I was part of the movement that stopped all the women's refuges from being shut down. There is still work to do in this area, I am just waiting to hear what we need to do.

I am proud that despite getting on in years (and never getting on in the co-ordination department), I have pushed myself to do things I'm terrified of, and actually enjoyed them, as seen in the much neglected of late Torschlusspanik list.

I am of course exceptionally proud of my kids and my partner, but their success is their success, and I'm not going to steal any of their glory.

While putting together this post, I came across my challenge to astonish myself - I am still a little sad I've not done this ever in my life. I'm not sure how to do this but I really want to. So to make myself proud (see what I did there?) I'm really going to set to work on this one...

Lastly, I just want to say, and I'm not proud of this, it's no secret I'm revelling a little too much in my woe is me state. I didn't feel like writing this post, and was going to skip the link up completely, but as I couldn't be bothered writing the review I have due, I procrastinated with this instead. My mood, by reflecting on all these positives, has lifted so I just wanted to say, thank you for the prompt, Lounge. And to anyone else who is struggling with the crappity crap of life, sinking in a sea of uncertainty, search your blog for 'proud' and 'pride'. You'll be amazed what long forgotten memories and ideas are sitting there, waiting to cheer you up.  Also linking with #ThankfulThursdays as I'm amazed how helpful this exercise was, and Things I Know, as I know these things make me feel good about myself.

Go out and astonish yourself!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you have been having a crappity time lately but I'm glad that writing this post helped.

    Thank you for linking up and continuing to link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can be proud that, despite feeling crap, you pulled yourself out of it and wrote this post. I astonished myself in the summer by walking the cliff path in Cornwall from Porth Curnow to Lamorna - it wasn't so much the walk as the fact that the cliff path runs very close to the edge of the cliff at times with no barriers and I'm absolutely terrified of heights - I was totally astonished that I didn't plunge to a gruesome death (but I can't see me ever doing it again!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Astonishing yourself is tough. Will you settle for being mildly surprised at myself?

    Hope you're feeling happier soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be the time of year or the weather as I have been in a funky mood too!! I am glad reflecting on your proud moments (you should be very proud of them) has made you feel less crappity!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got lots to be proud of and I'm glad that remembering it all helped. Astonishing yourself.. it made me wonder. What would I do to astonish myself?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pleased to have finally got to meet you yesterday but sorry to hear of your recent lack of inspiration and positivity. I love this list - how good is it that this exercise has helped you already :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm so glad that this little exercise helped to lift you. This is exactly what I hope that #thankfulthursday does, force us to look for the good in life even when we are feeling low in the trust that soon we will rise. Love your work.

    Thanks for sharing this with #thankfulthursday xS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on getting your short story published! When life gets you down, it's always good to look back and see how far you've come (and achieved). Hope things are looking up for you x

    ReplyDelete