Monday 29 July 2013

First of the Month Fiction - August

I can't believe it's already here - for newbies, rules are here (story in exactly 100 or less than 30 - easy peasy) Write story in comments, then link to blog so we can read what else you write...

Mine again is the 100 words:

It had happened a few times during the last few years - she would leave, be gone for a few months then suddenly, one day arrive home, as if nothing had happened. Nothing would be said, nor even asked about where she had been or who with. Then the rows would start and sooner or later, she would take off again. This time was different though. This time there would be no happy reunion.

Tearfully, the old woman taped the photo of her recently deceased husband to the telegraph pole. A small typed note at the bottom read "Susie, please call mum".

So please join in - next month I'll try to write a happy one (a bit of a challenge for me, for some reason).

Linking up with Jess for IBOT and Talk to us Thursday


15 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, that is so sad, so so so sad. Will hopefully have something to join up with later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good, Lydia. I want to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good, Lydia. I want to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100 words really isn't enough !!! Or maybe 100 words is just enough to get me hooked and ready to come back for more ?
    Have the BEST day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. you both could write more...in 100 words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I can write something within 100 words. Good on you for having a go. I read an article on trying to do this a while ago and apparently it is very good for your brain to write like this when you would normally do it another way. Now you have increased your brain capacity too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God knows I need to!!! (but yes, I did it for a competition and liked doing it so much I kept doing them, just for fun, it's like Sudoku...)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic Lydia, so much is said in so few words. Effective. #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so clever Lydia - I'm too verbose for this challenge, but I love reading them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is my First of the Month Fiction:

    She sat silently staring at the pen. This was by far the hardest thing to write. He was only gone for twenty four hours. Yet it felt like a lifetime already. Three minutes they told her. There was a schedule. She concentrated on her breathing. In and out. The words will come. She started at the pen. Willing it to come to life. For the words to flow. So she could escape into her world of memories. Cradle her hurt. Instead her grief would be on display. Three minutes. That is all she had. Her and the pen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! U are too, too talented. Submitted to Overland yet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh so sweet/sad Lydia. I can only write boring factual things in 100 words, it's the journo in me. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful words as always Lydia.
    I love giving this a go.

    If only the rain would come. It seemed absurd to be so sad, on such a sunny day. Rain would make the pain so much more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very poignant - it made me tilt my head when I read the last line. It's amazing how powerful so few words can be!

      Delete
  13. Lydia, that's beautiful but so sad! You're really clever to capture emotion in so few words. x

    ReplyDelete