Thursday 8 November 2012

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. Part 2 (More Misconceptions)


So awhile back, I decided to start a list of new things to try. (see here if origins are of interest).
As part of the list, I signed up to a fencing school for 2 lessons. (as discussed here). My friend thought it sounded like fun, so she joined in and last Monday night we finally headed off.  At first we were all giggles at the outfits and the funny polka-like movements. Then the instructor started to hit me on the head. It didn’t actually hurt but the noise on the metal mask was loud and disconcerting and it seemed like it should hurt, so my brain somehow processed it that way.  I did not like it, Sam I am.
I also didn’t like hitting with the sword either. I am apparently not as violent and aggressive as my enjoyment of the target shooting implied. (misconceptions again). Let me tell you, shooting is way more fun!   Ironically, on paper, I thought I’d enjoy the fencing more,  so I was very surprised by the internal reactions. (I just noticed I wrote this at the start of September   “I hope I am as excited by the actual fencing as I am by the IDEA of fencing…”. Perhaps I put it out there and jinxed myself?)
I did however, become very good at parrying  (I sound like I know what I’m talking about). I paid close attention to the part of the lesson on how to block attacks. I am not co-ordinated in any way but I was determined not to be hit in the head anymore. Where I lacked skill, however, was once I’d blocked the attack, I’d  then neglect to launch an attack myself. I tended to just stand there preparing to avoid the next assault. I clearly will not be taking this sport to the Olympics.
However, once we got suited up in the electronic scoring gear, and my friend and I took to each other for real, I enjoyed it. We were both hesitant (there was a lot of jumping about, waving the sabre but not striking) and laughing. THAT part was fun! And I am still giggling at the thought of how we must have looked to the instructor. She actually had to tell us that we didn’t need to jump around quite as much as we were if we weren’t  going to attack each other. We’d jump around from the start line until we reach striking distance and then we’d stop and wave our swords around but not strike.

We have another lesson, but we’ve decided to just go back and play each other (do another introductory class, so to speak). It’s fun, but not a sport I’ll continue – unlike shooting, where our numbers are growing for the January rifle shooting day (three of us ladies will be doing rifles and pistols in the same day, 2 more ladies will be trying pistols for the first time…we’ll be a regular Ladies Gun Club at this rate, high tea at the range afterwards).
When I was fencing with my friend, I seriously had to control my impulse to start saying, as I moved towards her “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” I was too embarrassed to do it in front of the instructor (she might have hit me in the head for being an idiot).  Next lesson, I will…and I’ll be wearing my new shirt that turned up the day after the first lesson, but I don’t think the six fingered man need worry.


Torshlusspanik List grows:
1. Shooting (check)
2. Fencing (check)
3. Play croquet at Croquet Club
4. Laser skeet
5. Off road buggy driving

So next time we talk, I should hopefully have a croquet mallet in hand...(or a flamingo if the Red Queen has anything to do with it).

Linking up for FYBF with the generous Grace at http://www.withsomegrace.com/. Head over and see who else is about.

26 comments:

  1. Wow! I didn't know you could easily just go and have a fencing lesson, how cool!

    It would have been such a new and different sensation to be hit like that. Funny what your internal reaction was!

    Oh I can't wait to hear your take on Croquet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travelzoo voucher - so it was cheap as! Horrible sensation. I'm looking for crinolines to wear on the green...;)

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to learn fencing so this was great to read. Love the shirt. Have you tried Lazer Tag - I loved it but ran around too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE laser tag - I organise groups to go in the hols so someone can watch my youngest while I go in (selfish, I know, but heaps of adults don't want to give it a go for some reason). Even when the kids go to parties, I try to talk the adults into going in so it can be 'us vs them'...

    ReplyDelete
  4. But all suggestions welcome for the list, so if you think of something, let me know - but I don't want to skydive - fear of heights and planes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand your need to quote the Inigo line. When I tried on my first engagement ring, I had the overwhelming urge to hold it up above my head and say 'to the power of Shera!'. No, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been fine, it's only weird if at the wedding you both clashed the rings and said "Wonder twin power, activate!"...you know, cos of the whole brother and sister thing...

      Delete
    2. I've always been more inclined towards the 'Shazam' personally …

      Delete
  6. What an awesome challenge :) It looks like a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like getting hit on the head...it is.

      Delete
  7. Now that's cool! I did some crazy stuff the year I turned 40 but not a single one of these was on my list. Might have to do it for the big 4..5..
    Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo, feel free to send some suggestion my way...

      Delete
  8. THERE'S A T-SHIRT!?!?!?! I need one. People have looked at me strangely often in life because of my need to quote that line. I think my accent must be pretty bad. I wish there was video. Seeing you stand there with a pointy sticky (what's it called again? A foil?) laughing? I'd like to see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better you quote that line than "Never trust a Sicilian when death is on the line" and everyone thinks you're a racist. Or worse if you quote "Over? Did he say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?...Hell No! And it ain't over now! Cause when the going get tough, the tough get going! Who's with me? Let's go! Aaaaaaa!" (runs out of room - invarible alone leaving people perplexed at how stupid I might be not to know who bombed Pearl Harbour)

      Delete
  9. Hey I think jump around and get the aerobic benefit of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there was aerobic benefit - we were both VERY hot and sweaty by the end...

      Delete
  10. That sounds like so much! I've always wanted to try fencing, though I don't think I'll be very good at it. I'm great at theatrical sword fighting choreography (I've watched way too many movies and spent way too many hours -re-creating fights with my BIL and his replica light-sabres!) but suspect this would be a whole other kettle of fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, apparently everything they do in the movies is wrong...I did however find that my hand kept creeping behind my back and I did want to flourish a bit...

      Delete
  11. What an awesome thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on trying something new. I wouldn't like getting hit on the head, sounds like the instructor taking things way too seriously lol. Enjoy your new sports, and high tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is always better with cake, as my butt will attest to...

      Delete
  13. OMG I so want to do fencing now. What a cool party story! I have a friend who is a box-ticker. I think I'm going to buy him fencing class for Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The voucher is the way to go, so you don't sign up for 10 weeks, but if you like it your second class is the first beginner class so you don't duplicate the course...you just roll into it. (hire me, travel zoo...!?!)

      Delete
  14. Visiting from FYBF. LOVETY LOVE that shirt. Good luck with your list! And have fun storming the castle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Indeed I will! (love that comment - I might use it as my new farewell to people...will test it out and see how it goes)

    ReplyDelete